Birthing From Within
Birthing From Within exists to inspire and teach expectant and new parents, and those who work with them, to:
- Prepare for birth as a Rite of Passage.
- Understand the power and life-long impact that "birthing from within" offers all participants in birth.
- Co-create holistic prenatal care that is informative, transformative, and builds a foundation for birthing in awareness in our birth culture, whatever the birth location or outcome or events of the birth.
- Prevent or minimize emotionally difficult births (for parents and professionals) through compassionate, honest preparation.
- Honor and use the power of Birth Storytelling and listening.
Our Philosophical Assumptions and Guiding Principles
From the book, Birthing From Within:
- Childbirth is a profound rite of passage, not a medical event (even when medical care is part of the birth).
- The essence of childbirth preparation is self-discovery, not assimilating obstetric information. The teacher (mentor) is "midwife" to the parents' discovery process, not the expert from whom wisdom flows.
- Childbirth preparation is a continually evolving process (for parents and teachers), not a static structure of techniques and knowledge.
- Parents' individual needs and differences help determine class content.
- Active, creative self-expression is critical to childbirth preparation.
- The purpose of childbirth preparation is to prepare mothers to give birth-in-awareness, not to achieve a specific birth outcome.
- Pregnancy and birth outcome are influenced by a variety of factors, but can't be controlled by planning.
- In order to help parents mobilize their coping resources, it is critical for childbirth classes to acknowledge that unexpected, unwelcome events may happen during labor.
- Parents deserve support for any birth option which might be right for them (whether it be drugs, cesarean, home birth, or bottle-feeding).
- Pain is an inevitable part of childbirth, yet much can be done to ease suffering.
- Pain-coping practices work best when integrated into daily life, rather than "dusted off" for labor.
- Fathers and birth partners help best as birth guardians or loving partners, not as coaches; they also need support.
- For parents, pregnancy, birth, and postpartum is a time of continuous learning and adjustment; holistic support and education should be available throughout that period.
- Childbirth preparation is also parent preparation.
For more information on Birthing From Within, visit their website.
To Register for a class with Doree at Ancient Paths, please go to aparentsparadise.com Or call Doree at (253) 306-8147.
© 2016 Ancient Paths Birth & Wellness All rights reserved