Immediately after the birth, we stay until both mother and baby are stable. You can expect that the midwife will:
- Delay Cord Clamping & encourage immediate skin to skin and breastfeeding if baby is ready to do so.
- Assist in delivering the placenta as safely and naturally as possible (no unnecessary traction before placenta has detached on its own, and hands-on help only if medically needed)
- Monitor vitals of both mother and baby, every 15 minutes for the first hour and then every 30 minutes for the following 3-4 hours.
- Prepare a meal for the mother as she rests, as well as a candlelit herbal bath for mother and baby to take together (this is everyone’s favorite part of the process, hands down!)
- Clean up the birthing space, including emptying and putting away the birth pool, cleaning towels, etc. (within about an hour, the only evidence that a birth took place is a glowing mama and happy baby!).
- Perform the newborn exam, including weight, length, vitals, and thorough exam of the newborn’s body systems and reflexes.
- Take baby’s footprints, fill out the birth certificate (this automatically includes a social security number for the baby that will be issued and sent to the parents by mail), and give detailed postpartum instructions for both mother and baby.
- Postpartum Visits Include checking vitals of mother and baby, check for adequate weight gain for baby, as well as helping with feeding questions or any other concerns. The midwife is available 24/7 by phone, and will also follow-up after the birth with:
- a 24 hr phone consult
- a 3 day home visit
- a 1 week home visit
- a 2 week office visit
- a 6 week office visit
*If for any reason the mother and/or baby needs to transfer care to a hospital/doctor at any time during the labor immediately postpartum, the midwife and/or assistant will go with the family to facilitate and offer support to the mother and information to the medical staff. Transports do not happen often, but when they do we want you to receive the same amount of care you are accustomed to during your pregnancy with us, and we will do our best to see that you get that.
**Never will a student midwife or assistant attend a labor/birth without a midwife present. The only person legally allowed to care for a women and baby alone is a licensed midwife, and your safety is our highest concern. While you may choose to hire a doula to assist you for labor support, they will not perform any medical procedures such as taking fetal heart tones, vaginal exams, etc. While students are valuable at births, they are not used in our practice as primary caregivers without a Senior Midwife giving direct, in-person guidance and supervision.